18 Givers
8 Takers
Rileygirl

Romancing Riley

There usually has to be some sort of romance involved for me to pick up a book. Anything with a strong emotional undercurrent is bound to get my attention. Contemporary, PNR, H/C & M/M are my favorites.

A Few Favorites ♥

Safeword
Power Exchange
The Value Of Rain

Jennifer's favorite books ยป
Hotel of Lost Souls - H.S. Kallinger 3.5 stars. Good debut, but it did have a few issues that made me cock my head at the book a few times. Zach, Sarah & Jamie meet on a train bound for Florida for vacation. They live in a society that not only acknowledges vampires, but allows them the same rights as humans. The train crashes and they are kidnapped by a vampire who holds them prisoner and uses them as he sees fit. At first. To 'train' them, he rapes Zach, Sarah, and beats Jamie for Zach & Sarah's mistakes. This occurs in the first two weeks of their captivity eventually 'breaking them'. Then he starts rewarding them for their behavior by lavishing them with gifts after the rest of the world has declared them dead. He still loses his temper occasionally, but he treats them pretty well after that. And that is the bulk of the story until they are rescued only to find that they are all in love with Lukas, the vampire, and run back to be with him again willingly. Let me preface this by saying that I love reading about psychology, but I am not a psych major therefore I have little knowledge in the ways of how Stockholm Syndrome actually develops. However, I know myself and I'm fairly certain how I'd react. So that is what I'm basing this on. Having said that, I find it hard to believe that I would question my own sexuality and begin to fall in love with someone who a)kidnapped me, b)beat me and c) raped me in under the span of just two weeks, because that's when the change in these three characters takes place. Is it possible? I guess in as much as anything is, it's just harder to believe when you read about a character having these thoughts while they're still able to feel the welts left by a belt on their back.I thoroughly bought the closeness the three characters developed as a result of their captivity, without question. Separately, I can believe that each of them could fall in love with Lukas as he does change throughout the book; again, I just had a hard time with it happening so quickly. Especially for a straight man, who never questioned his sexuality, only to do so after being kidnapped and raped. That said, if you can suspend belief and get past that, the book is fairly decent and overall well written if you like vampire novels. I found the world-building believable and interesting, as well as Lukas's climb to power. The vampires were a big part of the book, but not overly romanticized. Despite the somewhat dark beginning, it's actually not very dark in scope as a whole and descends into a romance of sorts. For the most part I enjoyed it and found it intriguing enough to continue on with the sequel.