18 Givers
8 Takers
Rileygirl

Romancing Riley

There usually has to be some sort of romance involved for me to pick up a book. Anything with a strong emotional undercurrent is bound to get my attention. Contemporary, PNR, H/C & M/M are my favorites.

A Few Favorites ♥

The Value Of Rain

Jennifer's favorite books ยป

Try by Ella Frank

Try - Ella Frank

This one is difficult for me to rate, because for great deal of the book, I really didn't like one of the MC's, Logan. But, at around 30% he started growing on me a little. He's arrogant, shameless, persistent as hell - almost to the point of annoying - but there were a few things I saw through the brash exterior that kept me reading.

Logan is, in a word, a slut. He makes no apologies for it either. I kind of respected that. He's a very blunt, in your face type of personality that I think you will either love or hate. Our first impression of him at the book's opening are his inner thoughts as he cashes in his ticket to the mile high club. He loves sex and has/will sleep with anything with a pulse - male or female. That's not what bothered me about him though, it was his relentless arrogance that I found grating - at first. Imagine my surprise when that very quality became almost endearing to me the further I read. Yeah, I was stunned too.

The first part shows us Logan, who's a lawyer working next door to a popular bar. It's one he frequents weekly, but when he sees a newly hired Tate working there for the first time, he determines then and there to make him his - and will stop at nothing until he is. Problem is, Tate is straight, in the middle of a nasty divorce, and so not interested. The mix of them together is quite volatile.

The second part delves a little deeper into them and their relationship.  Logan, well... I think it was around 50% that I figured him out and stopped actively hating him, because I understood him. We come to learn later about the things in his life that have made him who he is. And Tate, I really liked him. He was always honest, and had no problems in calling Logan out on his shit. I think they were well suited for each other once they admitted it.

This is very much a relationship/character driven story. There is a lot of sex, but to me, it seemed to be how the author chose to show the change in their emotions/relationship over time. You can judge whether or not it's too much for yourself. Personally, I think it's just skirting the border of it, but It was pretty damn hot regardless. And these two are pretty explosive together, so if you're looking for sweet, romantic sex, you will be sorely disappointed. But, don't be fooled, there's still a lot of emotion under the surface in both of them. They are both very much the alpha male, slam each other up against the wall type. As far as the plot, if you put some thought into it, it's not really that hard to figure out. So while it's not terribly original, given my love for reading damaged characters, it kinda won me over in the end. For a first attempt at a m/m book, all in all, a good read.

Cliffhangers will never not annoy me though. ;) Annnnd, we have to wait until Summer 2014 for the next installment. Ugh.